Thursday, April 9, 2009

My favorite salad

I hate dieting. There is so little healthy food that tastes good. But I also hate not fitting in my favorite clothes. Health food sucks, but fat pants suck worse. So I am dieting.

The only way I can stick to a diet is if I find ways to satisfy my sweet tooth. If I deprive myself of sweets, I will cheat on my diet. So, I am very glad to have discovered a salad that tastes sweet enough to me that I don't feel a strong urge to buy cookies.

It's really simple, too. Buy a package of your favorite lettuce, a bag of dried cranberries, a package of praline pecans (or other honey-roasted or sweetened nuts) and a bottle of some fruity vinaigrette dressing. Mix. Eat. Yum.

The key is to measure the portions of everything, so you don't accidentally eat 600 calories worth of fruit, nuts and dressing. I like to use about 2 cups of lettuce, 1/4 cup each of cranberries and nuts, and 1 or 1.5 Tbsp of dressing. That gives me between 450 and 500 calories, just the right size for a dieter's lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment